Sunday, May 15, 2016

Stage 6: Australian Institute of Sport to Hall Village

Stage 6
Friday 2016 04 08
Australian Institute of Sport to Hall Village
17.4km, 493m ascent
(Corresponds to part of Section 4.)

Today. I managed to achieve my objective. Once you pass Hall there is no opportunity for a pick up for another 16 or 18km, so I never had any intention of going any further.

It was pretty flat, apart from Gossan Hill and Percy's Hill, and mainly followed bicycle tracks. It would have been pretty tedious, but I remembered to plug in the earphones and enjoyed walking with Wes Montgomery, the Red Norvo Trio, Mingus, Hendrix, Cream. I ran into a Canadian couple with some visitors from Canada on Percy's. The guy is an ANU geologist and coaches ice hockey. He knows Ali. Small town.
Gossan Hill
Percy's Trig
For some reason, the trail detours from its route alongside the Barton Highway to walk the length of O'Hanlon Pl in Gold Creek Village, where there are ample cafes that didn't interest me at the time.

Just before the trail crosses Clarrie Hermes Drive, the CCT markers appear to direct you north along the cyclepath, but when it started veering east, I had second thoughts and followed the road back to the trail, turning right a few metres further on into Victoria St, which takes you into Hall. While waiting for Jo, I had my boiled eggs accompanied by excellent battered chips and a decent double espresso from Daughter's Cafe, just beyond the Wood Duck Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment