Sunday, May 15, 2016

Stage 2: Red Hill to Tuggernanong

Stage 2
Thursday 2016 03 31
Red Hill Lookout to Tuggeranong Town Centre
19.54km, about 1000m ascent
(Corresponds to part of Section 7)







































As I had done a fairly strenuous walk up Pig Hill on Monday, I intended to have a break on Wednesday from the outset.

On Thursday morning, the cafe at Red Hill was still closed, opening at 9, I think.

My objective was to get at least to Tuggeranong, and hoped to make it to Kambah Pool.

I set off south along the ridge and before long the trail descends down the east side and meanders around the suburb of Red Hill  before crossing Hindmarsh Drive and skirting Mt Mugga Mugga on the east, along Mugga Lane. I continued along the ridge to Davidson's Trig,
Davidson's Trig
Quarry on Mt Mugga Mugga
Isaacs Trig
Wanniassa Trig
then descended to Hindmarsh Drive, found an entrance and went up the hill, following the edge of the old quarry around, then down the south side and up Isaacs Ridge to the trig.
   I continued along the ridge to Long Gully Road, where I caught the trail and soon left it again to climb Wanniassa Hill.

I decided to forego Farrer Trig and Mt Taylor, although on reflection, they would make a good detour and avoid Isabella Dr.

My intention was to come down off Wanniassa Hill and follow Erindale Dr the rest of the way into Tuggeranong Town Centre, but I ended up wandering around the back streets of Gowrie until I got to Isabella Dr, where I picked the trail back up.

While walking along the cyclepath paralleling Isabella Dr, a guy on the bike path rode up, apologised for disturbing me, and looked for a geocache in the tree I was sitting under doing something with my phone. He said, 'if you like walking, you should come along with the Canberra Bushwalkers.' I told him I was with the other mob - the Brindabella Bushwalkers. He introduced himself as John Evans. I told him I was Harry. He asks, 'You're not Harry The Photographer?' I said, 'I don't think so.' He says, 'The guy who sends links to photos around to the Wednesday Walks list?' I said, 'Yeah, that's me.' Anyway, he thanked me for sharing the links and I was pretty choofed. I regret not asking him about geocaching. It looks interesting. I must remember to look it up.

When I got to Tuggernaong, I was disappointed to find all the cafes shut, except Little Istanbul, where I procured quite an acceptable iced coffee, exactly what I'd, apparently inadvisably, allowed myself to develop a craving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment